Monday, February 23, 2009

Chicken rice with almonds

I've got a pantry literally stacked to the ceiling but keep filling my shopping trolley every week so I really need to start incorporating more pantry items into my meals. So for dinner tonight I made Chicken rice with almonds with one of the six pouches SunRice brown basmati that I picked up on special weeks ago and I'm sure it will reheat well for my lunch tomorrow.

Chicken rice with almonds
250g pouch SunRice brown basmati
250g chicken thigh fillet, diced
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
2 Tbs mild Indian curry paste
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 Tbs raisins
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp toasted slivered almonds

Place chicken and curry paste in a bowl, mix and set aside.
Heat oil in a saucepan, saute onion, add marinated chicken and stir fry for a few minutes until chicken is golden brown.
Add stock and raisins and simmer for 2 minutes.
Place opened basmati rice pouch in microwave for 90 seconds.
Stir rice into chicken and add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve, garnished with slivered almonds.

Serves 2


Monday, February 23, 2009
I used a smoked chicken breast, Thai red curry paste and sultanas as that's what I had on hand. It reheated really well in the microwave - I just made sure I added a touch of water to keep everything moist.

Friday, April 3, 2009
I made this again tonight using two chicken breasts, Thai green curry paste & sultanas and it was still delicious. This recipe would be just as simple and tasty no matter what type of chicken or curry paste is used. It will definitely become a regular fixture on my mid-week meal rotation.
With the recipe split into 3 and made with these variations it comes to 320 cal / 1337 kj per serve, leaving plenty of calories in my daily allowance for a glass of wine and some yoghurt for dessert :-)

1 comment:

  1. Tuesday 11th May 2010

    I made this again tonight with 500g chicken thighs, red curry paste, sultanas & leftover steamed rice and it was a huge hit. I put in extra stock so the chicken was moist & tender and the sultanas were plump & delicious.

    ReplyDelete